Thursday, May 27, 2010

Friends in unexpected places

Last night I had dinner with a fellow marine wife who was from my husband's previous platoon. We are the only ones out of the previous group that were PCSed to Camp Lejeune. I had never really given any of the wives a chance simply because of the rumors I heard about them around the platoon and even from what my husband had told me about them, I was not ready to get friendly with any of the girls. However, with this wife, things have been a little different. Last night, her husband was working late, and she did not want to be alone that late, so I told her I'd keep her company. She cooked spaghetti and we had some wine. It was really nice!
Since both of our husbands have been in the same company for over two years, we had a lot to talk about, and we knew a lot of the same people. It was not only nice to get some girl talk, but it was also really nice to know that I had someone I could talk to about the hardships of being a military wife as well as the upcoming deployment the guys are gonna be going to in Afghanistan.
The night just reminded me that with all of the negativity of the military and the life of the military wives, it is so easy to get caught up in all the drama and the rumors that can be easily spread throughout a platoon. The important thing that I have learned is to REALLY watch out who you tell things to, and how much of your life you want to share with other people. You can't just not go out there and try, but when you do try to get involved with other people, especially in the military, you just have to have a guarded heart.
It was really suprising to know how much we had in common. It was also very comforting to know that I am not the only one going through this crazy life, and that there are other people out there who know exactly how I feel. It's so important for us wives to stick together, and to remember to help each other instead of bring each other down. Just remember that sometimes in order to find friends, you have to go over and beyond wha tyou expected of yourself, and even from what you expect from others. The experience can be very rewarding, you just have to give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. We've been involved with the military for 7 years now, we're in the midst of our 3rd deployment and I've never really gotten involved with his unit or the programs they have available for wives because of all the nasty rumors that get spread. I've recently learned, that my friendships and the things I choose to get involved in will be what I choose to make them. I don't have to get wrapped up in the silliness. The hard part is putting yourself out there. So glad you found a friend you can share the upcoming deployment with. :o)

    ReplyDelete